Why Learn to Teach Computer Science?
- 58% of all new STEM jobs are ACTUALLY computing jobs — there are 500,000 current openings!
- 54% of students enjoy computer science!
- Solving the diversity problem in tech begins with equity-oriented K-12 computing courses
- Computing is foundational in today’s data-driven society — for any career path!
Why Choose This CS Education Program?
- Start any time: No waiting for the next term or year. Pick your course below and enroll now!
- Self-Paced: Don’t give up family, personal or work commitments. Work when you have time, stop when you are busy, and pick up right where you left off later.
- Apply immediately in your classroom: Don’t take courses designed for tech field workers! Learn in courses designed to meet teachers’ needs and take course experiences directly into your classroom.
- Succeed even without prior experience: Engage with constructivist learning experiences, not lecture. Learn with techniques you can use with your students. Re-engage until you are happy with your learning.
- Prepare to Teach Advanced Placement: Prepare to support students in the AP CS Principles and AP CS A (with CS Awesome).
- Pay Less: Pay $3,400 compared to online or in-person programs offered on a fixed schedule.
Enroll in Learn to Teach Java Teaching Methods in CS
(with CS Awesome) Coming, October, 2020
What is it?
An online, flexible program for K-12 CS teachers to complete 16 graduate quarter units (4 courses), accredited by UC San Diego from the Education Studies Department at UC San Diego.
$3,400 (assuming each course is completed within a 12-month window).
Dr. Beth Simon, Teaching Professor, Education Studies.
(Courses 1 & 2 can be taken concurrently or in either order, Courses 3 & 4 recommend that Courses 1 & 2 are completed and can be taken concurrently). Each course is ~100 hours of learner time. Suggested timeline below.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the start and end dates of the courses? You can start a course at any time after payment is made. Courses are completed at your own pace by June 2021.
- What, specifically, are teachers learning and doing in these courses? Information on course learning outcomes, topics covered, assessment and learning activities is outlined for each course here.
- How do these courses align with NES test competencies? Here is alignment information at the statement level.
- I want to integrate this into existing professional development. How can I do that? For group enrollments, designated group leaders can personalize aspects of the class including deadlines, discussion forums, and auxiliary materials. Leader can also access learner progress and grades.
- What if teachers need only a subset of these courses? Each course is available individually at a cost of $850/year.
Additional questions? Email email@example.com